Yon convenient inn

All the games!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Backgrounds being a bigger deal

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Denerick99

PostSubject: Backgrounds being a bigger deal   Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Heya everyone,

I'm thinking about making backgrounds be a bit of a bigger deal in my game. specifically, I will have a certain set of open world "DM hook" story lines attached to certain backgrounds from the PHB. These "DM hooks" will be events or trinkets or plot points given out at the beginning of the campaign that will be open ended, allowing the players to persue them at their leisure.

example - someone who might choose the "Folk Hero" background might have a weird adventurer uncle in his family that recently passed away. In his will, the weird uncle might leave the player character a map and journal about an failed expedition to find some lost ruins in the northern mountains.

what do you guys think? Will too many of these cause fighting in the group on what to do next? Will it overwhelm the group with too much or will it workout?

Player: I set off the trap with my glaive.
DM: A massive Girallon appears bellowing in your face while he charges. *rolls a pair of 20 dice* Double 20's!! *rolls more dice* Umm........hmmmm.....well.........
Player: What?
DM: Well, apparently this Girallon is related to Chewbacca. The monster tears off both your arms and beats your character to death with is own arms.
Player Fuck you Kyle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jayamon

PostSubject: Re: Backgrounds being a bigger deal   Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Backgrounds don't necessarily have to impact the story. The main purpose is to give depth to each PC. In small amounts it can also be bit of material for you as the DM to fill out your story to help tie us into the story, but It shouldn't be the sole purpose of us going adventuring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Backgrounds being a bigger deal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yon convenient inn :: New world v.3.0 :: New world v.3.0-
Jump to: