Yon convenient inn

All the games!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

discussion - Plot Points

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Denerick99

PostSubject: discussion - Plot Points   Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:04 pm

What does the group think of this weird variant rule?

I personally think it would be fun if used sparingly and as long as no one got butt hurt about it.

From the DMG, Pg. 269

Plot points-
Plot points allow the players to change the course of the campaign, introduce plot complications, alter the world, and even assume the role of the DM.

Using plot points -
each player starts with 1 plot point. During the session, a player can spend that point for one effect. The effect depends on your group's approach to this optional rule. 3 options are presented below.
A player can spend no more than 1 plot point per session. you can increase this limit if you like, especially if you want the players to drive more of the story. Once every player at the table has spent a plot point, they each gain 1 plot point.

Option 1: What a twist!
a player who spends a plot point gets to add some element to the setting or situation that the group (including the DM) must accept as true. For example, a player can spend a plot point and state that his/her character has found a secret door, an NPC appears, or a monster turns out to be a long-lost ally polymorphed into a horrid beast. A player who wants to spend a plot point in this way should take a minute to discuss his or her idea with everyone else at the table and get feedback before settling on a plot development.

Option 2: The Plot thickens
Whenever a player spends a plot point, the player to his right must add a complication to the scene. for example, if the player who spends the plot point decides that her character has found a secret door, the player to the right might state that opening the door triggers a magical trap that teleports the party to another part of the dungeon.

Option 3: The gods must be crazy!
With this option, there is no permanent DM. everyone makes a character, and 1 person starts as the DM, and runs the game as normal. that person's character becomes an NPC who tags along with the group or remains on the side lines as the group wishes. At any time, a player can spend a plot point to become the DM. Tha players character becomes an NPC and the game continues. Not advised to do during combat.

whatcha think?

Player: I set off the trap with my glaive.
DM: A massive Girallon appears bellowing in your face while he charges. *rolls a pair of 20 dice* Double 20's!! *rolls more dice* Umm........hmmmm.....well.........
Player: What?
DM: Well, apparently this Girallon is related to Chewbacca. The monster tears off both your arms and beats your character to death with is own arms.
Player Fuck you Kyle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jayamon

PostSubject: Re: discussion - Plot Points   Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:29 am

Ha! That third one, lol. "Look at me. I'm the DM now."

Option 1 might be okay as long as it's not overused.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denerick99

PostSubject: Re: discussion - Plot Points   Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:15 pm

I think that I am going to be trying a system that is kinda like this that I saw used in the 2017/2018 PAX live AI game. A plot point "pool" for everyone to use, limited to so many per game.

More to come later.

Player: I set off the trap with my glaive.
DM: A massive Girallon appears bellowing in your face while he charges. *rolls a pair of 20 dice* Double 20's!! *rolls more dice* Umm........hmmmm.....well.........
Player: What?
DM: Well, apparently this Girallon is related to Chewbacca. The monster tears off both your arms and beats your character to death with is own arms.
Player Fuck you Kyle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sindered

PostSubject: Re: discussion - Plot Points   Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Sounds Gouda.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: discussion - Plot Points   

Back to top Go down

discussion - Plot Points