Yon convenient inn

All the games!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Some house rules

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cazlo

PostSubject: Some house rules   Wed May 30, 2018 10:41 am

Any Sustained spell is exclusive

Team Karma is a thing

More to come as I remember...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jericho

PostSubject: Re: Some house rules   Wed May 30, 2018 4:31 pm

Getting rid of permanent magic loss? I suggest you do so and I have some further thoughts on the matter. As I told you a while back, I was convinced finally how heinous it was after watching Mike's adept get decimated.

I would suggest getting rid of permanent magic loss due to accidents or random chance. From deadly wounds and a bad dice roll for example.

I would keep permanent magic loss for things where the player chose it in some manner. Obviously, when they get cyberware installed is big one that you want to keep. I'd probably keep magic loss for wounds not being treated with a penalty as well, although technically this could be forced on the character. Most doctors and such wouldn't purposely do this to you, although a really crappy team member could do that.

If you do get rid of magic loss, you may want to consider getting rid of geas. Or at least scrutinize them.

Instead of getting rid of magic loss chance due to deadly wounds, you could instead make initiation cheaper in karma, money, etc. That might somewhat balance it out.

If you do get rid of magic loss, you may want to make initiation more expensive in karma, money, etc.

There may be other ways to lose magic permanently I'm not thinking of right now. Like perhaps there is a monster out there that does that. (Now that I think of it, I think there is a rule where you can have it happen when going astral too long. Or perhaps that was death)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cazlo

PostSubject: Re: Some house rules   Wed May 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Fair points.

I would like to say no magic loss without essence loss, or body index for that weird stuff. I would also say that the magician has the choice to take magic loss instead of another attribute in the case of permanent injuries and deadly wounds.

As far as geas and initiations, I have zero understanding of it, how the rules for it works, or even where it comes from. I’m not necessarily opposed to them, even given how powerful magic is, but I’m not comfortable with their rules set.

Some explanations would be nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jericho

PostSubject: Re: Some house rules   Wed May 30, 2018 6:40 pm

I'll have a go at Geas real later on, as I have to sleep soon. Or Harp can cover it.

I'll give you a real quick explanation of initiation, just off the top of my head. You are basically getting to know your power better and becoming a more powerful magician. The biggest and main thing about it is your magic rating increases by 1 when you do it. It is how you get above 6. But there are other powers you can gain from doing it. Astral masking is one thing I believe that can be gained at one of the levels.

There are requirements to reach it. It takes time and karma are the big ones. But there may be some kind of test or trial as well. Vision quests for shamans for example. I believe it costs something like 9 to 11 karma for level one. It gets more expensive in karma and time each level you go up. You can get some kind of discount for being part of a magical group.

Even though I only have half a main book, I did find several books and the magic book is one of them, so I'll be bringing that.

So that is why I say make initiation cheaper if you don't get rid of permanent magic loss. Or make it more expensive if you do get rid of permanent magic loss (without losing essence that is)

If initiation is cheap in time and karma, then people can get lost magic points back that way easier. If initiation is expensive in time and karma, it will be harder for people to get above 6 magic rating, but they will rarely lose rating, unless they say decide to get cyberware implanted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jericho

PostSubject: Re: Some house rules   Thu May 31, 2018 4:18 pm

A geas allows allows an awakened to continue using magical abilities as if magic loss never happened.

So say my mage gets cyberware or an injury and my magic rating drops from 6 to 5. I must make a choice immediately to take a geas or not. If I choose to take a geas, I can keep using my abilities as if I have a rating of magic of 6.

One type of geas is a talisman geas. I must use an specific item to do my magic. This can be anything, including a focus or fetish. Some are pretty easy to fulfill. Some are quite hard. For example a very hard one is Shaman's Geas, only open to full magician shamans. They can only use spells that provide a totem advantage, so a dog shaman could only cast detection spells and summon field and hearth spirits.

You can only get rid of a geas 2 ways. if you violate the rules of the geas, then it goes away, but you then lose the magic point. Or you can get rid of a geas by doing initiation. However, you then don't get your magic point for initiation.

BTW initiation level 1 costs 9, normally. Bit cheaper if you do an ordeal. And also a bit cheaper if you are part of a magical group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jericho

PostSubject: Re: Some house rules   Thu May 31, 2018 4:22 pm

On the one hand, it is kind of good to have geas in the rules, if random permanent magic loss is also in the rules.

But the geas being so varying in how hard or easy some of them are, makes it easy to game. You'll see when I bring you the book. And it provides an easy way to get cyberware implanted as a mage and pay little penalty for it, by taking an easy geas or two. You are limited in number of geas though equal to your willpower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some house rules   

Back to top Go down

Some house rules
Page 1 of 1